Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gardening Girl Friends

This is my friend Dolores' garden. I've known her for about 7 years, and she's my gardening guru, mentor and home depot buddy. She has a fantastic garden and has helped me design my garden and has given me cuttings from her garden.

This is a flower patch in her front yard. She has done all of this by herself and this year she turned 65. She has lived under constant pain in her joints and experiences many seizures and has had a brain tumor removed about 15 years ago. She moved to Arizona from Massachusetts to get away from the cold humidity. She is legally blind and can't drive a car. She depends upon a few friends who take her to the grocery store and doctors etc.

This is her hanging pot called the "DownUnder Pot". She gave me one and yesterday I flipped it over and the dirt didn't fall out. It takes a few weeks for the roots to establish before you can do that.This is her fish pond and she's had cranes swoop down and snatch a few fish. She built this all by herself. She is an amazing person.Every once in awhile a few of her gardening buddies get together and take her out to enjoy each others company. I'm on the left next to me is Dolores, then LuAnn and then Madge. She calls us her "Mormon Friends" or "Angels". She is very spiritual and grew up Catholic. Her spirituality comes from her garden and she is always talking to God there. I have learned so much about life in general from her.

There wasn't too many wildflowers out this year as compared to last year. But the few that were out were very pretty. This is some flowers on the way up to Usary Pass.
Here we are having a silly moment on the playground.

Here is our Facebook pose. We had a great time with Dolores today and will always remember her love and friendship.

2 comments:

Lachelle said...

What a beautiful garden she has, and I love the pond! She is extremely talented to do all that by herself, and she doesn't look 65 :)

Diane... said...

Nancy...you have the sweetest friends!!! The gal in the blue with the short hair looks so familar. You, along with my visit to the Desert Botanical Gardens, have motivated me to plant more stuff and do it in a beautiful way. I have always admired your secret garden and you have the greenest thumb!!!! THANKS!